Hong Kong defends delay in reporting death of vaccinated man
Health authorities in Hong Kong have defended the delay in reporting details about the death of a 63-year-old man who died in hospital days after receiving Sinovac's Covid-19 vaccine.
Experts said the death, which is being investigated, is unlikely to be linked to the vaccination and the man was at risk of cardiovascular disease.
“It has not yet been determined that it is related to the vaccination,” the city's health department said in a statement.
The Chinese-manufactured shot was the first vaccination rolled out in Hong Kong and so far more than 40,000 people have received their first jab.
The man received the shot on Friday and died in hospital on Sunday, but health authorities only revealed the death on Tuesday.
Dr Lau Ka-hin, from the city's hospital authority, said on a radio programme that the death “was definitely not concealed”.
He suggested the delay was because medical staff were too busy attempting to save the man's life to notify authorities of his vaccination history.
Post a Comment